Travelling with children is definitely a daunting challenge. Having been a flight attendant for 13…
buckle me up™ seatbelt safety system and review
One in five killed in car accidents not wearing seatbelts; buckle me up™ seatbelt safety system has launched an Australian patented invention designed to save kids’ lives on the road. Utilising ground-?breaking wireless technology, buckle me up™ reduces the risk of serious injury or death of children, as a result of unbuckled seatbelts in the backseat of cars.
Drivers and passengers travelling unrestrained in a car are at least 10 times more likely to be killed in a road crash than those wearing a seatbelt. In NSW from 2013-?2014, there was a 45 percent increase in fatalities in those not wearing a seatbelt.
Australian legislation states all new cars must have seatbelt warning devices in the front, but not in the back, where passengers are likely to be small children. Nearly 90 percent of the thirteen million passenger cars in Australia don’t have rear seatbelt warning alert. In NSW, 21.7 percent of children aged between 4 and 12 killed in car accidents were not wearing a seatbelt.
buckle me up™ is a simple, effective, retrofit wireless seatbelt reminder and alert safety system for the back seats in passenger cars. The advantage of the patented safety system is two-?fold:
- Advises the driver via a dashboard mounted alert that if the backseat passengers, likely to be children, unbuckle
- Reduces driver distraction by eliminating the need for drivers, likely parents, to turn around taking their eyes off the road to check seatbelts are buckled
Research shows children in the backseat are 12 times more distracting to a driver than talking on a mobile phone while at the wheel. The study also showed the average parent takes their eyes off the road for three minutes and 22 seconds during a 16 minute trip – meaning their eyes are not on the road for 21 percent of the drive.
CEO of SIDS and Kids, who provide support for bereaved parents, Associate Professor Leanne Raven said: “Unrestrained children in the car coupled with driver distraction can have devastating consequences. For more than 25 years, I’ve witnessed firsthand the impact road crashes have on families.”
“buckle me up™ is the only retrofit wireless seatbelt safety system to provide a solution to this problem. It’s a simple concept that will provide a huge benefit to families, particularly those whom often have a number of young children in the backseat,” said Associate Professor Raven.
The new buckle me up™ system was inspired by a wireless seatbelt concept developed several years ago of the same name. Today’s buckle me up product is entirely different and uses cutting-?edge design and technology to create a product that has been globally patented around the globe as the first-?of-?its-?kind.
Sydney-?based firefighter, Gregory Pace said: “Having been in rescue for over 18 years, I’ve seen first hand some pretty horrific incidents where children have been severely injured or killed due to having unbuckled during the trip. What’s worse is the parents driving are completely unaware they’ve done so, but live with the consequences for the rest of their lives.”
“It seems simple but it’s so critical for kids to be buckled up at all times. Any product that can save kids’ lives simply by adhering it to a rear seatbelt buckle and the dashboard is invaluable.” said Mr Pace.
Simple for parents to install themselves (similar to an e-?tag), buckle me up™ is 100 percent Australian designed, engineered, manufactured, owned and has undergone rigorous performance, functionality, usability and Factory Acceptance Testing and is compliant and accredited to the highest relevant Australian quality standards.
buckle me up™ is now available for $189.00 at bucklemeup.com
About buckle me up™
- The buckle me up™ dashboard-?mounted unit (DMU) sits on the dashboard or windscreen of a motor vehicle and alerts the driver if a rear seatbelt is not buckled up at the beginning of a journey, or becomes unfastened at any stage throughout the journey. It is about the size of an e-?tag and as easy to install.
- The functionality is triggered via a secure ‘reed’ switch located inside the buckle me up ™ cartridge, which is adhered to the seatbelt buckle and engaged when the seatbelt is buckled up.
- When the connection is broken a wireless signal is transmitted to the DMU. The DMU will then alert the driver both visually, by flash and audibly, via an alert sound, that a seatbelt is unbuckled.
- The buckle me up™ patented safety system will be exported internationally to provide the only retrofit wireless seatbelt safety system to the 900,000,000 cars worldwide without a rear seatbelt warning alert system.
- i Centre for Accident Research & Road Safety, Queensland, 2012
- ii Office of Road Safety, Government of Western Australia, 2014
- iii Centre for Road Safety, Transport for NSW, 2013 -?2014
- (iv) Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2014
- (v) Centre for Road Safety, Transport for NSW, 2010-? 2014
- (vi) Monash University Accident Research Centre, Victoria, 2013
- (vii) UNSW, Sydney, 2002
For the past few weeks I’ve had the opportunity to review the buckle me up™ system in my car and I can truly say I am so impressed with this product! I now have piece of mind that my child is buckled in and that if she was to unbuckle her seatbelt during a trip that I would now know about it with thanks to the buckle me up™ system. Fortunately I haven’t had to experience the alarm go off yet as she has stayed in her seat but I do have the piece of mind now that the alarm will sound if she unbuckles her seatbelt.
This is a fantastic product that ALL families should invest in. It’s still so surprising to hear that most car manufacturers aren’t putting alarm systems into the rear seats of passenger cars where our precious children are being seated!.